Now you can!
We want to hear what you have to say; your concerns, opinions, advice and ideas. To represent citizens’ media interests, we need your feedback to inform and direct our future activities.
With individual members behind us, we will have greater influence in the decision-making processes of the EU institutions. We can challenge corporate interests, media monopolies and institutional apathy.
We want our members to come from all walks of life; everyone, everywhere is welcome: students, experts, activists, educators, academics, parents, politicians, journalists. Anyone who cares about the relationship between media and power. Anyone who supports initiatives to enable people to read, write and participate through the media.
The only requirement for membership is that you share our values.
Add your voice to advancing the cause of media literacy. Become a member of EAVI today!
In recent years, systematic attacks on freedom of expression and privacy have escalated. We are exposed to advertising messages more than at any time in history, and the line between propaganda and information is increasingly blurred. The messages and activities in the online world influence the offline world in a way that was unforeseen to many. To fully appreciate the risks and opportunities that new media technologies offer us, we need to understand how media works.
National and international institutions have been slow to react; new European regulations relating to net neutrality, copyright and privacy will affect the lives of every individual, and while these regulations are crucial if we are to adapt to the realities of 21st century digital technology. However, interest groups and civil society organisations like EAVI must make our voices heard. Any changes in policy must take place in an arena of inclusiveness, understanding, transparency, awareness and genuine commitment.
These values are essential to a functioning democracy. Media literacy is a key skill in the 21st Century; those who acquire media literacy competences are able use the media for their own benefit and enjoyment and are empowered to act, rather than being acted upon.
By advancing the interests of civil society organisations, educators, academics and citizens, we at EAVI will enact initiatives designed to increase active engagement of citizens by way of effective, empowered and positive use of the media.
As a non-profit organisation, our financial resources are limited. Therefore we need the human capital of skills and ideas only you can provide.
By joining EAVI, you can help us encourage debate of the issues that must be addressed, fostering dialogue and mobilising other like-minded stakeholders to create a better media society.
As an individual member you will benefit from:
- regular updates on EAVI’s publications, projects and activities,
- access to materials, reports, news and in-depth articles on topical issues; and
- a say in the public debate around media literacy and citizenship
- You will receive first an email confirmation welcoming you into the EAVI community!
- You will receive a downloadable EAVI member’s badge
- You will receive EAVI newsletters – which gives members a dedicated space to promote their relevant activities, thus increasing their visibility
- The opportunity to participate in EAVI’s activities. You can:
- Provide input and ideas about EAVI’s activities and direction
- Provide online support in various forms, including technical or legal advice, translations, graphics, etc.
- Contribute to our research by taking part in online questionnaires and surveys